Members of Zonta are executives or professionals in a recognized business, institution, or profession who are willing to support the objectives of Zonta.
Founded in 1919, Zonta International is a global organization of executives and professionals working together to advance the status of women worldwide through service and advocacy.
Today there are more than 30,000 members belonging to more than 1,200 Zonta Clubs in 63 countries and geographic areas,The Ottawa Club was founded in 1929.
Among the first Canadian Zontians: Agnes Macphail, first woman to be elected to Parliament; Senator Cairine Wilson, first woman senator; and Senator Muriel McQueen Fergusson, first female Speaker of the Senate.
The Club meets once a month for a dinner meeting, usually on the fourth Wednesday of the month. All members are expected to join committees and participate in meetings, activities and events.
In the Media… Topic: Violence Against Women
‘FHRITP’ debacle becomes a teachable moment by ZOSIA BIELSKI, “The Globe and Mail” Published
Upcoming: (Check the latest edition of “Zontaclar” for details)
- October 6th, 2015 – Board Meeting – Note: All members are welcome to attend Board Meetings. RSVP with a member of the board.
- October 28th, 2015 – Meeting
2014/2015 Year in Review!
- May, 2014 – Awards evening in Ottawa City Hall and our 85th year celebration with a birthday cake and the Hon Dr. Kelly Leith, Minister of Labour and Status of Women as guest speaker.
- June, 2014 – Zonta sponsored Elder Abuse Awareness Day at Ottawa City Hall. The Mayor of Ottawa attended and CBCs Rita Celli, was our MC.
- July, 2014 – Successful fund raising with the Odyssey Theatre
- September, 2014 – Planning general meeting.
- October, 2014 – October 22, scheduled Social Media Presentation was cancelled due to tragic events on Parliament Hill. Zonta members met for dinner and a general meeting.
- November, 2014 – Social Media Presentation by Shawna Doyle, Director of Creative Communications, Rhapsody Communications.
- November, 2014 – A most successful Holiday reception for members and guests to celebrate the holiday and collecting funds for the Club’s international and local projects.
- January, 2015 – Member’s Saturday morning breakfast, with special guest, Dr. Joana Rocha, Assistant Professor with the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Carleton University
- February, 2015- All committees met to select winners of Zonta Awards
- March, 2015 – Fashion Show to celebrate International Women’s Day
- March meeting – Information evening, special guest Sister Pauline Gagne, from PACT as well as the video showing of the CBC Film “Silence of the Labs.”
- April, 2015 – Annual General Meeting
- May, 2015 – Annual Awards Reception